Baby in locked car rescued by passers-by

Baby in locked car rescued by passers-by

PETALING JAYA - Yet another baby was left in a stationary car in the scorching heat, despite numerous efforts to educate the public on the dangers on leaving their children unattended in a locked vehicle.

In a video that has gone viral on Facebook, the baby, estimated to be a few months old, was left alone in a locked Perodua Myvi. The car was double-parked, with its engine switched off.

Facebook user Tuan Nor Azlim, who witnessed the scene and shot the video, said the incident happened in front of a bank in Section 9, Shah Alam.

"The car was heavily-tinted but luckily, the baby was in the front seat, so I noticed the child immediately.

"To make matters worse, the parents were nowhere to be seen, and the child, when rescued, was calm but sweating profusely," he said in his Facebook post.

The video, which has garnered 6,200 shares and more than 40 comments within an hour of being posted, shows some members of the public breaking the rear window of the car to open the door.

A large crowd had gathered around the car to help. The baby, wearing a white singlet and shorts, was carried to a nearby shop.

Nor Azlim said they carried the baby into the shop to cool off while the shopkeeper helped look for the parents.

"I hope the parents realise their mistake. It is hurtful to know that there still is so much ignorance on this matter.

"It's the life of a child, for God's sake! We just need to be more aware," he added.

Shah Alam OCPD ACP Aziz Man Alias said no police report was lodged on the incident. According to him, the baby's mother arrived shortly after the rescue.

"The mother admitted that she had forgotten to leave the engine running because she was rushing," he said.

Last year, there were two reported cases where toddlers died after being left in a car.

In one case in Kuantan, a man "forgot" that his three-year-old son was in the back seat of his MPV for over nine hours.

Another case in Alor Setar saw a four-year-old toddler die after his father left him in the car for seven hours.

In 2013, a three-year-old girl died in Subang Jaya after being left alone in the car for five hours by her mother, a secondary school teacher.

More about

Purchase this article for republication.



Your daily good stuff - AsiaOne stories delivered straight to your inbox
By signing up, you agree to our Privacy policy and Terms and Conditions.