Boy dies choking on fried banana balls

Boy dies choking on fried banana balls
Fried banana balls (L) and banana pancake (R)

JOHOR BARU - A seven-year-old boy died after he choked on cekodok pisang (fried banana balls) at a day care centre here.

Kee Shao Ming died 12 hours after being admitted at the Sultan Ismail Hospital where a doctor found a piece of the snack lodged in his throat, said his mother Ong Kai Yun, 32.

Ong said she had dropped off her two children - Shao Ming and his eight-year-old sister - at the centre before going to work at about 7.30am on Friday.

"Both my children were fine and happy when I left them," she claimed.

"Within half an hour, I got a call from a teacher saying that my boy started vomiting and then fainted," she said.

"The teacher said that my son's nails had turned dark and his face was pale."

Ong said she asked the teacher to rush her child to the doctor at once.

When she reached the hospital, Ong said she was stunned to find out that her son had choked on the cekodok pisang.

"I am shocked that the day care could be so negligent," she said at her home.

She said her son had been going to the day care since December.

A police report has been lodged.

Johor Baru South OCPD Asst Comm Sulaiman Salleh said the case had been classified as sudden death.

However, he said the police would also investigate the case under Section 33 of the Child Act for negligence.

More about

Purchase this article for republication.

BRANDINSIDER

SPONSORED

Most Read

Your daily good stuff - AsiaOne stories delivered straight to your inbox
By signing up, you agree to our Privacy policy and Terms and Conditions.