Boy electrocuted while charging battery

Boy electrocuted while charging battery
Mohd Azmar: Electrocuted while attempting to charge the battery of his elder brother’s mini motorcycle.

ALOR SETAR - An eight-year-old boy was found dead in a bedroom after he was electrocuted while attempting to charge the battery of his elder brother's mini motorcycle.

Mohd Azmar Tahkim Mohd Asri, a Year Two pupil of SK Bukit Tembaga in Pokok Sena here, was found lying in the bedroom by his mother Sarinah Akob, 40.

He was scheduled to attend an excellence award presentation at his school next week to receive a prize for doing well in Bahasa Arab.

When met at the Sultanah Bahiyah Hospital here, one of his teachers, who did not want to be named, said Mohd Azmar was believed to have tried to charge the battery of the mini motorcycle by using a jumper cable connected to an electric socket in a bedroom at his home at about 4.50pm yesterday.

The mini motorcycle belongs to his 18-year-old brother.

It is believed that a short circuit occurred and the boy was flung more than a metre away.

His mother and brother, who were sleeping in the next room, heard him scream and rushed to the room. But he was already unconscious.

The teacher said Mohd Azmar was one of the top students in Year One and excelled in Bahasa Arab.

"I'm very sad that my student couldn't receive his prize during the excellence award day," she said.

Another teacher, who also refused to reveal her name, said Mohd Azmar was a "happy-go-lucky boy", but had been extremely quiet in school yesterday morning.

Mohd Azmar was the fourth of five children.

He was buried at the Kampung Padang Serai Muslim cemetery in Pokok Sena yesterday evening.

His parents were too distraught to speak to reporters.

More about

Purchase this article for republication.

BRANDINSIDER

SPONSORED

Most Read

Your daily good stuff - AsiaOne stories delivered straight to your inbox
By signing up, you agree to our Privacy policy and Terms and Conditions.