Brothers taken on terror ride

Brothers taken on terror ride
The Proton Gen 2.

PETALING JAYA, Malaysia - A nine-year-old boy and his three-month-old brother were taken on a terror ride by a carjacker before they were forced out of the car about 5km from where he took the vehicle.

Mohd Naqiudin Rashid and Mohd Taqif were left in the blue Proton Gen-2 with the engine running after their mother Karniyurtini Ishak, 35, took two of their siblings to their babysitter's house in Puchong Perdana at 7.10am yesterday.

When she came out of the house, she saw her car being driven away with the boys inside.

She ran after the vehicle but only managed to get as far as Sekolah Kafa Integrasi Madrasatul Ikhwan, about 500m away, where she has been a religious teacher for the past 13 years.

About 40 minutes later, while she was still wailing over the abduction of her sons, her tears turned to those of joy when a man brought them back to her.

Factory worker Mohd Rosdan Samat, 44, said he saw a boy carrying a baby by the side of the road at the Puchong Industrial Park at about 7.35am and suspected something amiss.

"I was on my way to work when I noticed him looking dazed as he carried the baby brother. I asked him where his parents were and he related the incident to me," he added.

When Naqiudin told Mohd Rosdan that his mother was a teacher at a nearby school, the factory worker decided to send the brothers there.

A relieved Karniyurtini said she was grateful that her children were returned to her unharmed.

"I almost gave up when I lost sight of the car as I was running to catch up to it. I usually leave my three youngest children with the babysitter before I go to work," she said, adding that she and her husband, 37-year-old Rashid Drahman, go to work separately and that her eldest child was a Form One student.

Naqiudin told police that the carjacker was thin, tall and wore a secondary school uniform.

Subang Jaya OCPD Asst Comm Yahaya Ramli said the man pointed a penknife at the boy and told him to carry his brother out of the car.

"He threatened to kill both of them if he did not," he said, adding that the suspect got away with Karniyurtini's handbag, two mobile phones and her identification documents.

He reminded parents not to leave the car engine running, especially when their children were still in the vehicle.

"It makes them easy prey for criminals," he said.

More about

Purchase this article for republication.



Your daily good stuff - AsiaOne stories delivered straight to your inbox
By signing up, you agree to our Privacy policy and Terms and Conditions.