'Bullet-proof' counters prevent jewellery heist at Malaysia mall

'Bullet-proof' counters prevent jewellery heist at Malaysia mall
PHOTO: Video screengrab

PETALING JAYA: Despite continuously swinging their hammers against the glass casing, a group of robbers failed to carry out a heist at a jewellery outlet.

The "bullet-proof" display counters made it impossible for the criminals to break through and they were forced to flee empty-handed during Monday's attempt at a Shah Alam mall.

Shah Alam Deputy OCPD Supt Nek Zaidi Zakaria confirmed the incident.

Kedai Emas Sri Alam posted a CCTV video recording on its Facebook page Tuesday, which has since gone viral on social media.

The 42-second video shows two robbers swinging their hammers at the display counters as the employees run for safety.

Seen standing nearby are two accomplices, one of whom is holding what appears to be a pistol. All four are in crash helmets with heavily-tinted visors.

By the end of the video, even after about thirty swings, the robbers are left empty-handed.

A shop employee said damage caused by the robbers was estimated at RM80,000.

"We haven't checked thoroughly yet, but from what I saw, the robbers didn't get away with anything," he added.

The Facebook post has since garnered at least 4.5 million views, 31,060 shares and 4,036 comments.

State police chief Comm Datuk Mazlan Mansor said a task force had been set up to investigate all robbery cases in Selangor, including the one in Shah Alam.

"We are monitoring and hope to arrest the suspects responsible for the crime as quickly as possible," he said after the handover ceremony between former Kajang OCPD Senior Asst Comm Othman Nayan and the district's new police chief Asst Comm Ahmad Dzaffir Mohd Yusoff.

More about

Robbery
Purchase this article for republication.

BRANDINSIDER

SPONSORED

Most Read

Your daily good stuff - AsiaOne stories delivered straight to your inbox
By signing up, you agree to our Privacy policy and Terms and Conditions.