JOHOR BARU - After a long day at work, a bus driver went straight to bed and fell into a deep sleep. Even when the house caught fire, he just slept on.
Leng Yoon On, 50, had reached home from work in Singapore at about 3am yesterday and was later found dead in his bedroom.
"He had inhaled too much smoke. There were no burn marks on his body," Johor Baru (South) OCPD Asst Comm Sulaiman Salleh said.
Earlier, his wife left their double-storey house in Taman Daya here to go to a nearby market.
The couple's two children, aged 19 and 22, were also asleep in their rooms.
At one point, the daughter was awakened by the smell of smoke from downstairs and she went straight to her brother's room, said ACP Sulaiman.
"Both of them managed to escape by climbing out of the window and into their neighbour's house.
"However, they were unable to save their father due to the thick smoke," he added.
ACP Sulaiman said another child of the couple was at a friend's house for a sleepover.
Initial investigations by the police and the Fire and Rescue Department forensic unit found that the fire could have started from joss sticks burning in the house. ACP Sulaiman said the ceiling of the house was low and the doors and windows were shut at the time.
The smoke quickly became thick as there was no ventilation, he added.
Leng's body has been sent to Sultan Ismail Hospital for a post-mortem.
A Johor Fire and Rescue Department spokesman said they received a distress call at 7.17am.
One fire engine with six personnel was deployed to the scene.
The team reached the location at 7.27am and managed to put out the fire 12 minutes later, he said.