CAMERON HIGHLANDS: The bodies of two Indonesian farm workers, who were believed to have been sleeping when they were hit by a deadly mudslide, have been dug out from under a heap of rubble at Sungai Kabok, Bertam Valley here.
The bodies were found close to each other near a farm yesterday morning.
Cameron Highlands OCPD Deputy Supt Mohd Wan Zahari Wan Busu said the bodies of the two, identified only as Suwalis, 40, and Yunita, 41, were found with blankets around them.
"Their rumah kongsi was destroyed in the incident," he said.
The two were declared missing after that.
On Wednesday, a mudslide hit Cameron Highlands, including Bertam Valley, while the unusual heavy rainfall caused a flash flood in Ringlet, some 4km away.
The natural disasters have now claimed five lives, including a 13-year-old boy who was swept away by floodwater along Sungai Terlom in Kuala Terla here. The other two bodies were discovered on Thursday.
DSP Mohd Wan Zahari said the operation, which began at 8.30am, involved some 200 personnel and K9 units.
"The operation stopped at 12.30pm. The operation centre, however, will remain open to monitor changes in the weather or the need to release water from the Sultan Abu Bakar dam again," he said.
The earlier night, Tenaga Nasional Berhad (TNB) was forced to release water in stages as the water level in the dam had risen sharply and had reached a critical level within a short time, following heavy rain.
In a statement here, TNB said the unusually heavy rains from 6pm on Wednesday caused flash floods in Ringlet, which carried garbage into Tasik Ringlet.
Asked when the villagers would be allowed to return to their homes in Bertam Valley, DSP Mohd Wan Zahari said it all depended on the weather.
"If the weather improves, we will allow them to return home," he said.
The residents are now at the evacuation centre.
DSP Mohd Wan Zahari also said the release of water from the dam stopped at midnight yesterday.
"The water level at the dam has reached 1,049m, which is stable.
"The gate is still open, but water has stopped flowing out," he said, adding that TNB would also resume its electricity connection later.
On reports of damage to property by villagers in Ringlet, DSP Mohd Wan Zahari said 30 reports had been received.
"We have already urged the people to lodge reports. We believe there are still many who have yet to do so," he said.