Child bride rape case reopened

Child bride rape case reopened

PUTRAJAYA - The case of a 12-year-old girl who married the man who raped and then divorced her has been reopened by the Attorney-General's Chambers.

Attorney-General Tan Sri Abdul Gani Patail said he directed the police to do so after taking into account public concerns on the issue.

He said a decision on whether to prosecute will be announced next week after he received the police findings.

"The DPP at that time withdrew the case on certain grounds.

"When the arrest was made, we only had five statements from the victim, her father, aunt and two suspects but no confession was recorded by the magistrate," Gani told a press conference here.

He declined to provide details on the medical report on the victim, but said her "blood pressure was normal about four to five hours after the (alleged rape) incident."

The Star reported last week that Nor Fazira Saad had lodged a report at the Kulim police station on July 15 last year, alleging that she had been raped by two teenagers including Mohd Fahmi Mohamed Alias, now 20, who later married her.

Mohd Fahmi was charged with committing the offence together with another youth but was given a discharge not amounting to an acquittal after the victim and her father Mohd Saad Mustafa withdrew the police report.

Abdul Gani said the other youth had pleaded guilty and was sent to a juvenile rehabilitation centre in Paya Terubong, Penang.

It was reported that Nor Fazira married Mohd Fahmi four months after the alleged rape.

Mohd Fahmi pronounced a talak satu divorce on his young wife last week.

Mohd Fahmi also denied he had raped her and then married her to avoid being prosecuted, although the girl's father has insisted otherwise.

More about

Purchase this article for republication.

BRANDINSIDER

SPONSORED

Most Read

Your daily good stuff - AsiaOne stories delivered straight to your inbox
By signing up, you agree to our Privacy policy and Terms and Conditions.