Cops question 10 more over 'cross' protest

Cops question 10 more over 'cross' protest
Protesters outside the Taman Medan church near Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia before its cross was removed on 19 April 2015. The church displayed a cross outside the second floor of its premises which the Malay Muslims described as politically motivated by critics.

PETALING JAYA: Police have recorded the statements of 10 people who were involved in the Taman Medan "cross" protest.

Selangor police chief Senior Deputy Comm Datuk Abdul Samah Mat said, however, no arrests have been made.

He said police have yet to determine if there were any criminal elements in the protest, which saw a church being made to bring down a cross on its shoplot facade.

He said the 10 were called in and questioned on Wednesday.

"No arrests have been made as investigations are still not complete.

"Once it is done, we will determine if there were any criminal elements and then we will make arrests," he told The Star on Thursday.

Petaling Jaya OCPD Asst Comm Azmi Abu Kassim said police have also recorded the statements of the church pastor and Taman Lindungan Jaya Umno branch chief Datuk Abdullah Abu Bakar - who is also the elder brother of the Inspector-General of Police. "We will be calling up more people from the church and the protest later," he said.

The pastor of the church, who had lodged a police report against the protesters, declined to speak when contacted by The Star.

In her report, she detailed that she was approached by an officer from the Petaling Jaya special branch the service at 11am on Sunday, and was told that several protesters wanted to have a word with her.

She met Abdullah, former Petaling Jaya Selatan Umno Wanita chief Munaliza Hamzah and another "man dressed in a red shirt and black songket" after the service ended, though the congregation stayed in the church building.

"She said the man in the songket was livid and ordered the church to take down the cross on the shoplot," said a source quoting her report.

"Taking into account the situation and in her fear for the safety of the church and herself, she took down the cross at 1pm.

"After the protesters had left at about 2.30pm, Datuk Abdullah had told her that he intended on reporting the church to the PJ City Council. The pastor said nothing," the source added.

More about

Purchase this article for republication.



Your daily good stuff - AsiaOne stories delivered straight to your inbox
By signing up, you agree to our Privacy policy and Terms and Conditions.