BALIK PULAU - Seven out of the 18 participants involved in a series of nude events held in Teluk Kampi here are Malaysians.
Four were from Singapore, said Penang police chief Senior Deputy Comm Datuk Wira Abdul Rahim Hanafi.
"One was from the Philippines, two from Myanmar and one from India. The others have yet to be identified.
"Nine are males," said SDC Abdul Rahim to reporters at the state contingent police headquarters in Penang Road here yesterday.
Police had also recorded statements from 10 people,.
"We also urge those with information to come forward to help in police investigations. We are still trying to locate the individuals in the video." said SDC Abdul Rahim.
"With regards to other details such as the identification of the alleged park ranger, we are still investigating," he said after attending the promotion ceremony of Penang traffic staff officer Deputy Supt Abdul Rahim Md Din.
A total of 12 police reports from Penang alone have been lodged over the issue.
Meanwhile, Chief Minister Lim Guan Eng said similar events, with people in the nude, have been held in other states over the past few years, but they did not draw much attention.
"There was a reality show by Discovery Channel in a Perak jungle and a Danish reality show on an island off Mersing, Johor, but none of these events went viral," he said at a press conference yesterday.
Separately, a Penang National Park watchman, who was on duty when the nude event took place, is being questioned.
Park management committee member Datuk Shah Headan Ayoob Hussain said they were still waiting for a report from the watchman for failing to inform the management about the indecent acts which took place on May 31.
He, however, did not reveal whether the watchman was still on duty or currently suspended pending investigation.
He added that initial investigations showed that the watchman had repeatedly reminded the nudists that they were not allowed to strip at the beach.
"But they did not heed his advice. He could have been threatened or ridiculed by the group over this, that's why he did not report the incident."
It was earlier reported that 18 so-called "naturists", including six women, were caught on video while taking part in nude events dubbed "Penang Nude Sports Games 2014".
The five-minute video showed the participants naked while taking part in activities such as body painting, a relay race and a group crab-walk.
Shah Headan, who is also Teluk Bahang assemblyman, said many rangers and watchmen had been threatened in the past for reprimanding visitors who built campfires which are prohibited.