Couple comes home to tragedy

Couple comes home to tragedy

JOHOR BARU - Thinking that their children were fast asleep and safe at home, a couple went grocery shopping only to return to find that their house has been razed by fire and their youngest child died in it.

Marakar Pekar, 45, and Masirah Berutu, 34, left Muhammad Iskandar, four, and Siti Aishah, seven, sleeping in the living hall at about 12.30am yesterday to buy vegetables and fish at the Pandan wholesale market here.

Marakar said he received a phone call from a neighbour at around 1.30am, saying that their house was on fire.

"I rushed home to find the police and fire and rescue department personnel outside my house trying to break open the gate," he said.

Marakar said he then rushed into the house, looking for his children but found it difficult to locate them because the house was filled with smoke.

"I used a torchlight and went searching throughout the house," he said. "I found them inside the toilet in the master bedroom," he said.

Both the children had fainted.

Purchase this article for republication.

BRANDINSIDER

SPONSORED

Most Read

Your daily good stuff - AsiaOne stories delivered straight to your inbox
By signing up, you agree to our Privacy policy and Terms and Conditions.