Dad expresses anxiety over missing son aboard oil tanker on Facebook

Dad expresses anxiety over missing son aboard oil tanker on Facebook

KUCHING - A father took to Facebook to express anxiety about his son, a deck officer aboard the oil tanker MT Orkim Harmony which disappeared from its course while heading to Kuantan Port on Thursday.

"Thank you to family members, relatives and friends for their concern and prayers in our time of tribulation and anxiety.

"Today is the fifth day that my son Mohd Firdaus and 22 crew of MT Orkim Harmony have not been found. Insyallah, all of them will return home safely. We all miss you young boy," Bernama quoted Akihito Nawawi's Facebook post yesterday.

He also posted photographs of the family with Mohd Firdaus, 24, which were shared by his wife Surayani Daud.

The tanker was reported missing at 8.57pm on Thursday while on its way to Kuantan Port from Malacca.

Akihito confirmed when contacted by Bernama yesterday that his son was onboard the missing vessel and that the latter had only been working for a month after completing his studies.

"But I have to apologise, I cannot make any further statement. The company has advised me not to. I hope the media understand this," he said.

The family's residence at Matang Jaya, near here, appeared to be quiet with the front gate locked.

MT Orkim Harmony owned by Magna Meridian Sdn Bhd was carrying 6,000 metric tonnes of petrol worth RM21mil and a crew of 22 comprising 16 Malaysians, five Indonesians and a Myanmar national when it disappeared.

In Bachok, Kelantan, the mother of Mohd Awis Aiman Abdullah, another crew member, said her 28-year-old son had a two-month-old son at the end of last year.

Rohani Yusof, 67, said Mohd Awis had been in constant contact with his family as he would usually be away for a long time.

She said her son started working in the ship line five months ago and that he liked his job, adding that Mohd Awis was the 10th child out of 11.

Rohani said she lost her appetite after learning about the incident and that she had sleepless nights.

"I had been praying to God that not only my son but also everyone onboard the ship will be safe and return to their loved ones," she said.

More about

Purchase this article for republication.



Your daily good stuff - AsiaOne stories delivered straight to your inbox
By signing up, you agree to our Privacy policy and Terms and Conditions.