'Datuk' runs from cops in car chase

'Datuk' runs from cops in car chase

KUALA LUMPUR - With guns trained on him after a nearly 40km high speed chase, a cornered 33-year-old man tried to get himself out of the cuffs by claiming he was a "Datuk" and a friend of Opposition Leader Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim.

The arrest got ugly when the suspect, who claimed to be working at a law firm, turned violent and started to kick the patrol car, headbutting a corporal and cursing at the policemen who nabbed him and two others with him.

The incident occurred early on Monday near Universiti Putra Malaysia (UPM) in Serdang after a high-speed chase from the Nilai R&R area.

The matter did not end there as the so-called Datuk continued to curse and scold the policemen even after he and his friends were hauled to the Sri Serdang police station for questioning.

"He continued shouting vulgarities and spat at one of the officers. When we tried to take his mugshot, he refused to cooperate and caused a commotion," said Sepang OCPD Supt Mohd Yusoff Awang.

The drama started when a four-man patrol team tried to pull over a gold-coloured Mercedes Benz to inspect the car's tinted glass windows as it was travelling near the R&R area at around 3.20am.

The policemen sounded the siren for the driver to stop but the suspect sped away towards Kuala Lumpur.

"At one point, he was doing 240kph. The suspect turned into UPM, and the pursuing police car alerted another patrol team in Serdang, which intercepted the car," said Supt Mohd Yusoff.

"The officers came out with guns drawn and directed the driver to step out and lie on the ground.

"As the officers were placing handcuffs on the suspect, he claimed to be a Datuk and said that he worked at a law firm and was friends with Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim," said Supt Mohd Yusoff, who believed the suspect was just trying to lie his way out of an arrest.

The officers, however, proceeded with the arrest, which got ugly after the suspect turned violent - kicking a police patrol vehicle, headbutting a corporal and cursing at them.

Supt Mohd Yusoff said the other two passengers in the Mercedes then came out to record the incident with their smartphones, claiming that police were "provoking them".

Police hauled the three to the Sri Serdang police station, where the "Datuk" gave officers more trouble as they tried to process his arrest.

All three suspects from Seremban were later released on police bail and are being investigated under Section 186 of the Penal Code for obstructing a civil servant from carrying out his duties.

More about

Purchase this article for republication.



Your daily good stuff - AsiaOne stories delivered straight to your inbox
By signing up, you agree to our Privacy policy and Terms and Conditions.