GEORGE TOWN: A 44-year old man perished in a gas cylinder explosion at his apartment in Bandar Baru, Air Itam, here, Friday afternoon.
The ex-pub worker, identified as Lee Hooi Hai, purportedly left the gas stove on for several minutes before flicking a lighter, causing the explosion around 12.30pm.
The impact caused the windows of his apartment unit on the 16th floor to shatter.
According to the deceased's father when met at the scene, he said Lee had been suffering from depression for the last two years before he quit his job.
"He was on medication and even mentioned taking his own life before," he said.