Dr Mahathir challenges authorities over 'fake news' probe: Charge me in court

Dr Mahathir challenges authorities over 'fake news' probe: Charge me in court
PHOTO: The Star/Asia News Network

PEKANTun Dr Mahathir Mohamad has challenged the authorities to charge him for disseminating fake news.

"They can charge me in court. I have no fake news. Only truth," he said.

The Pakatan Harapan chairman was commenting on the police investigation on him for allegedly spreading fake news when he claimed that his plane had been sabotaged.

Dr Mahathir made a brief stop at Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak's home constituency here on Thursday morning to campaign for Pakatan candidates here.

It was reported that the investigation came about after a police report was lodged against Dr Mahathir over his sabotage claims.

The police report was lodged by the Umno Grassroots Movement, whose chairman Datuk Zulkarnain Mahdar claimed that Dr M's allegations had caused anxiety among Malaysians over public safety levels.

Dr Mahathir had claimed on April 27 that the plane he had boarded for a flight to Langkawi was sabotaged.

He said that just before takeoff, the pilot announced that the plane had been damaged and immediate repairs could not be made.

The Civil Aviation Authority of Malaysia (CAAM) launched an immediate investigation and found no indication of sabotage.

The CAAM said it found that there was air leakage from the left nose wheel, which was a minor and routine technical fault.

 

Purchase this article for republication.

BRANDED CONTENT

SPONSORED CONTENT

Your daily good stuff - AsiaOne stories delivered straight to your inbox
By signing up, you agree to our Privacy policy and Terms and Conditions.