PETALING JAYA - Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad has challenged Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak to reveal his bank accounts to disprove the allegations that 1Malaysia Development Bhd (1MDB) funds were transferred to the accounts.
"You (Najib) say you deny. Let's see the accounts," Dr Mahathir told BBC's Jennifer Pak in an interview published on the British media website on Wednesday.
"When people charge him (Najib) over something, he says it is a plot, 'it is nonsense, it is not true'.
"But prove that it is not true. It is very easy for him to prove that it is not true. He has these accounts in the bank. All he has to do is say 'you examine my accounts, you look at it'," said Dr Mahathir, who was prime minister for 22 years.
Najib has accused Dr Mahathir of using the 1MDB controversy as a means of "political sabotage" to topple him.
He claimed that Dr Mahathir's motives were due to Najib's refusal to implement some of his plans for the country. Dr Mahathir has refuted the claims.
"I did ask him why didn't he do what he promised to do which is to build a bridge, to continue with the railway line and all that, but that is a minor thing to me. Every Prime Minister has a right to have his own policies," said Dr Mahathir.
Dr Mahathir also rubbished Najib's claim of political sabotage and that he was working with foreign parties to force Najib out.
"No. Why doesn't he (Najib) answer the charges made against him?," said Dr Mahathir.
"I know all about the money that has been borrowed but all the other shenanigans that followed is something that I read about in the foreign press and I confirmed it by asking local people. I didn't work with the foreign press," he said.
The Wall Street Journal (WSJ) alleged in a report on Friday that US$700million (S$943 million) had been channeled into Najib's personal bank account in AmPrivate Bank before GE13.
On Tuesday, WSJ released nine documents, allegedly detailing the 1MDB money trail reportedly sourced from a "Malaysian government investigation".
The documents showed alleged bank transfers from various companies to Najib's personal accounts on March 2013, December 2014 and February 2015.
On Monday, six bank accounts connected to the case were frozen by the special task force investigating the matter. The identities of the account holders were not revealed.
Najib has denied the accusations and is taking legal action against the international business daily.