Elderly woman in Malaysia hurt in gas stove blast

Elderly woman in Malaysia hurt in gas stove blast
Scene of the incident: Taman Kejora residents' association chairman Kamarudin Jamaludin showing the damaged gas pipe and other utensils in Chik Bah's kitchen.

ALOR GAJAH - A 76-year-old woman suffered serious burns when her gas stove suddenly exploded as she was cooking sambal fish for lunch.

Chik Bah Mohd Amin's sarong caught fire during the incident at about 11.30am at her Taman Kejora low-cost terrace house in Tebong here yesterday.

She then ran to the window in front of her house and screamed. Hearing her cries for help, her neighbour's son, Mokhzani Aris Masron, 22, rushed over.

His mother also came over and covered Chik Bah with a piece of sarong and brought the elderly woman to their home while other neighbours called for an ambulance.

"I went to nenek Chik Bah's house to put out the fire in the kitchen using water from the bathroom.

"She looked frail and was complaining of pains on her body while waiting for the ambulance," Mokhzani said yesterday.

Chik Bah suffered burns in her hair, on her face, left hand and both legs. The explosion was believed to have been caused by leaking gas.

The ambulance arrived 15 minutes later and took Chik Bah to the Alor Gajah district hospital.

Meanwhile, Malacca Hospital said in a statement that Chik Bah, who was referred to the city hospital at 2.35pm, was in critical condition.

"The patient suffered between 16 per cent and 18 per cent burns on her body.

"Considering her advanced age, the patient is in high risk and needs to be closely monitored.

"She is now warded at the special treatment room for burns under the hospital's Intensive Care Unit," it said.

More about

Purchase this article for republication.

BRANDINSIDER

SPONSORED

Most Read

Your daily good stuff - AsiaOne stories delivered straight to your inbox
By signing up, you agree to our Privacy policy and Terms and Conditions.