PETALING JAYA - For 15 years, he wooed unsuspecting women, first via MySpace and then on Facebook, before convincing them to have sex with him.
He secretly filmed those sexual encounters and used the footage to blackmail his victims for thousands of ringgit in cash and more sexual favours.
Finally, two of his victims could no longer stand the harassment coupled with the fear of their families finding out, and approached anti-crime activist Kuan Chee Heng for assistance.
Kuan persuaded the duo to lodge a report at a nearby police station, but discreetly, as they were uncomfortable doing it over the counter.
With the quick action of the police, the man who recorded his sexual exploits with more than 200 women was finally caught in Kota Kinabalu last week.
"The victims had been keeping the incident a secret for a long time, but decided to come out to expose the truth.
"Although they were initially embarrassed to go to the police, they felt it was time he got caught," Kuan told The Star Online when contacted on Thursday.
The 53-year-old suspect, who is originally from Penang, would threaten to send the footage he recorded to relatives and children of his victims if they did not meet his demands, Kuan revealed.
His victims were said to also include an unknown number of men.
The suspect left for Sabah last month to get married for the fifth time, and investigations revealed that he intended to con more victims there.
Kuan said he was also approached by the family of the suspect's new wife, who feared that their daughter was being conned by the man she loved.
"One of his previous wives and her family also lodged a police report against him," Kuan said.
The man, who has since been handed over to the Petaling Jaya police, was remanded for a further two days on Wednesday.
He is now in the custody of the Subang Jaya police, who are conducting investigations, as one of his victims lodged a police report in that district.
The police have also urged his other victims to come forward to assist investigations.
Kuan, who is Selangor Community Policing Association (COPS) founder, was instrumental in uncovering the killer of 15-year-old cosplay enthusiast Ng Yuk Tim in 2013.
Ng's mother had sought his assistance to find her daughter, and he managed to get a confession from the 23-year-old male suspect, when questioning him on discrepancies in his account of events on the day of the murder.
On this latest incident, Kuan said he had encountered similar cases before and advised women not to be afraid if threatened by their ex-lovers.
"I know a case where six different women lost a total of RM3 million (S$1.13 million) to the same guy. He was apparently someone they met in the gym.
"They did not want to report the incident to the police because they are rich, married, and have a reputation to protect," the former cop added.