MIRI - Sarawak police have shot down claims that the murder of a 13-year-old schoolgirl here earlier this week was a case of kidnap-murder for the purpose of organ harvesting.
Sarawak CID chief Senior Asst Comm Datuk Dev Kumar said the Criminal Investigations Department (CID) in Miri is looking for a Facebook writer who posted these claims on social media.
"Police were today alerted to these claims that the murder of the 13-year-old schoolgirl was due to kidnap for organ harvesting.
"The claims by the Facebook holder was accompanied by three photos of the murder case.
"The claims are false and police have commenced investigations and are looking for the Facebook writer.
"We will investigate him for spreading false news," he said.
SAC Dev warned that those who post false news and create fear are committing offences against the Penal Code and the Multimedia and Communications Act.
On Tuesday (Jan 9), the Form One student was found dead inside the boot of a saloon car along the Kuala Baram highway.
A police patrol unit stumbled upon the case when they saw the driver of the car behaving suspiciously.
A car chase ended with the police unit cornering the 33-year-old male driver near the Miri Port.
Upon checking, the cops found the dead body of the girl stuffed in the car boot.
An initial probe showed that the suspect is the boyfriend of the girl's mother.
SAC Dev had said the suspect was believed to have strangled the girl in the house where the victim was staying with her mother and elder sister.
Police have obtained a seven-day remand order against the suspect.