Fireman electrocuted while fighting bushfire

Fireman electrocuted while fighting bushfire
Apolos Jeremes was believed to have stepped on live wires from an illegal electricity connection.

KOTA KINABALU - A fireman was electrocuted while putting out a bushfire near a squatter colony in the east coast Sandakan.

Apolos Jeremes, 25, was believed to have stepped on live wires from an illegal electricity connection located near the squatter colony at Taman Kenari at about 3.15pm Monday.

According to the state Fire and Rescue Department public relations officer, Mohd Affendy K Ramin, Apolos was sent to the Sandakan hospital at about 4.20pm and was pronounced dead.

Department director Nordin Pauzi said the other firemen were ordered to stop work following the incident.

"It was risky to continue at the area as there are illegal power connections there," he said, adding that the fire did not pose risks to people nearby and had been brought under control.

More about

Purchase this article for republication.

BRANDINSIDER

SPONSORED

Most Read

Your daily good stuff - AsiaOne stories delivered straight to your inbox
By signing up, you agree to our Privacy policy and Terms and Conditions.