Fishmonger's parents living in fear over S$50, 000 debts incurred by son

Fishmonger's parents living in fear over S$50, 000 debts incurred by son
Feeling the heat: Tan and Khaw showing pictures of the buckets of poison allegedly brought by the loan sharks, during a press conference at the Penang MCA headquarters in Jalan Transfer.

GEORGE TOWN - The parents of a 25-year-old fishmonger are living in fear as loan sharks are after them for the return of RM138,000 debts incurred by their son.

Tan Choon Eng, 52, and his wife Khaw Goay Kheng, 49, said their son Tan Soo Yan, the youngest of five siblings, had accumulated the debts after borrowing RM78,000 to settle his previous debts.

They claimed he had also lost RM60,000 in football bets.

The couple, who jointly own a fish farm in Sungai Udang, Nibong Tebal, with Choon Eng's brothers, said they feared for their safety as they had been harassed multiple times, with the latest being on Jan 18, when the water in the fish farm was poisoned.

MCA Public Service and Com­plaints Bureau head Gui Guat Lye said at a press conference at the state MCA headquarters in Transfer Road yesterday that a group of men entered Choon Eng's house in Sungai Udang at about 4.30pm on Oct 15 last year and left after damaging a computer and a motorcycle.

"On Dec 18, Choon Eng received a call demanding that he repay the debt within three days or his whole family would be killed and their fish farm destroyed.

"A week later on Dec 25, Khaw also received a call with the caller threatening to kill Soo Yan.

"Last Sunday, Choon Eng was informed by his younger brother that a few men carrying several buckets of liquid had entered the fish farm.

"Choon Eng changed the water immediately after the men left. He suffered a loss of RM20,000," Gui said.

Khaw said Soo Yan was a habitual gambler who had previously amassed debts totalling RM500,000.

"We are not the people who borrowed the money and should not be facing the consequences," she said.

She said she and Choon Eng had lodged four police reports but no action had been taken yet.

Gui said he would follow up with the police on the matter.

More about

Purchase this article for republication.



Your daily good stuff - AsiaOne stories delivered straight to your inbox
By signing up, you agree to our Privacy policy and Terms and Conditions.