Floods: Terengganu evacuees on the rise

Floods: Terengganu evacuees on the rise
A youth holds on to a lamp post while playing in floodwaters in Temerloh, some 130 kms from Kuala Lumpur in Malaysia's central Pahang state

KUALA LUMPUR - Kemaman and Marang remain the only districts in Terengganu that still face a worsening flood situation as the number of evacuees continues to climb in both areas.

In other states, the clear weather resulted in many of the evacuees finally being allowed to return home.

In Terengganu, the number of evacuees at relief centres in Kemaman rose by 36 to 10,898 yesterday. A total of 125 people are now taking shelter in Marang.

Kemaman Municipal Council president Mustafar Khalid said it might take two weeks to clean up the flood-hit areas, adding that 20 10-tonne lorries, 12 excavators and five lorries had been deployed.

Universiti Sains Malaysia Hospital in Kubang Kerian said it had sent 18 volunteers comprising doctors, paramedics and nurses to help the people in Kemaman, which was hit by a second wave of flooding on Saturday.

The National Security Council said on its portal that 2,440 evacuees in Terengganu were allowed to return home after the waters subsided. However, 13,237 people still remained at 64 relief centres in the state.

In Pahang, Pekan still had the highest number of evacuees at 3,241, followed by Kuantan (924), Maran (670), Temerloh (404), Bera (305) and Rompin (33).

Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak said the Government was committed to ensuring the health and welfare of those affected by the floods, especially against the risk of infection brought in by stagnant water.

He added that efforts to assist the eva­cuees would be stepped up with more contributions and manpower.

"Yesterday, as Khazanah Nasional Berhad chairman, I announced a contribution of RM10mil to assist flood victims," he said in his latest Facebook posting.

According to Najib, a total of 100 medical teams had also been mobilised in Terengganu and Pahang to carry out health checks on the evacuees.

Meanwhile, more Malaysians have come forward to lend a helping hand, with the Malacca government launching a RM20,000 humanitarian aid in the form of clothing and other necessities such as bottled water and food for Pahang.

Chief Minister Datuk Seri Idris Harun said the state government sympathised with the evacuees, especially those in Kuantan, which suffered the most damage because of the flood.

More about

Purchase this article for republication.

BRANDINSIDER

SPONSORED

Most Read

Your daily good stuff - AsiaOne stories delivered straight to your inbox
By signing up, you agree to our Privacy policy and Terms and Conditions.