Fund set up for disabled 15-year-old who was found in flat

Fund set up for disabled 15-year-old who was found in flat
A combo picture showing Muhammad Firdaus one year ago (left) and Muhammad Firdaus at the Tuanku Jaafar Hospital, a few days after being rescued from a flat unit in Nilai.

SEREMBAN - Help is pouring in for disabled teen Muhammad Firdaus Dullah who was found in utter neglect and severely malnourished in a flat in Taman Semarak, Nilai, near here.

While Wanita Umno has set up the "Adik Firdaus Fund" with an initial sum of RM4,000 (S$1,550),  Sabah Chief Minister Datuk Seri Musa Aman also offered to help the 15-year-old who is originally from Sabah.

Wanita Umno chief Datuk Seri Shahrizat Abdul Jalil said the contribution included RM2,000 from the president of the Welfare Association of Wives of Senior Government Servants and Elected Representatives of Negri Sembilan (Pekerti), Datin Seri Raja Salbiah Tengku Nujumuddin.

Shahrizat and Raja Salbiah visited Muhammad Firdaus at the Tuanku Jaafar Hospital yesterday, Bernama reported.

Last Saturday, Immigration officers making checks to weed out illegals stumbled upon the boy with deformed limbs who was clad in a tattered and soiled T-shirt and covered in his own faeces and urine.

His 40-year-old mother, believed to be working as a helper in a catering company in nearby Sepang, is being remanded until tomorrow.

In Kota Kinabalu, Musa said he had directed the State Community Development and Consumer Affairs Ministry to see how they could assist the child.

Neighbours told reporters yesterday that they had not seen the boy in the last year, ever since his nanny Norfitri Radius, 42, moved out of the flats.

"She used to take him out on his wheelchair. But he didn't look anything like how he appeared in the newspapers," the neighbours said.

Workers at the shop where Muhammad Firdaus' mother went to for daily economy rice said she would pack two or three packets of "pretty substantial" food, accompanied by her other son, aged about five.

Nilai OCPD Supt Abdullah Roning dismissed talk that the mother was living separately from Muhammad Firdaus.

Tuanku Jaafar Hospital director Datuk Dr Jaafar Che Mat said the teenager could have gone without food for several months or been given inappropriate food.

He said no signs of injuries or abuses were found on Muhammad Firdaus.

"He weighed only 15kg when he was admitted. His condition is stable now. He will need further care," he added.

Bukit Aman D11 (sexual crimes, domestic violence and child abuse investigations division) principal assistant director Asst Comm Hamidah Yunus has warned that parents who commit serious child neglect face a fine of not more than RM20,000 or a jail term not more than 10 years or both, under Section 31(1) of the Child Act 2001.

More about

Purchase this article for republication.



Your daily good stuff - AsiaOne stories delivered straight to your inbox
By signing up, you agree to our Privacy policy and Terms and Conditions.