Genting bus crash: 'My dad wasn't an angry man'

Genting bus crash: 'My dad wasn't an angry man'

KUALA LUMPUR - The 20-year-old son of bus driver Lim Kok Hoe, who died in the Genting bus crash, has come to his father's defence, saying that Lim had not been an angry man.

"My father was a good man, he was not the type to find trouble or fight with anyone. He hardly ever scolded me," said the bus driver's only son Lim Dei Shen yesterday.

Responding to reports by several survivors of the crash who said his father had been driving recklessly before the accident, Dei Shen said he did not believe it.

"He had been a bus driver at Genting Highlands for two months and everything was fine. There were no complaints about him driving fast or anything like that. Now, after the accident, everyone is claiming he was speeding," he said.

Sur­vivors of the bus crash in Genting Highlands told horror stories of an angry bus driver who seemed unstable in his actions - almost with a death wish - before the tragedy at 2.20pm on Wednesday.

A survivor, Tan Ming Shing, said the driver had been speeding down the slope and had made no effort to swerve to the emergency escape ramp located directly before the spot where the bus went over into the ravine.

Dei Shen said his father had been loving until the day he died.

"I last spoke to my father a day before the accident. He called me during his lunch break to ask me if I had enough money and if I had had my lunch," said Dei Shen, who found out about his father's death on Facebook.

He had last seen his father on Sunday, when the older Lim had taken him to Genting Highlands on his bus.

"He had been asking me to work with him at Genting Highlands and I had already been offered a job there. Before I could accept the offer, this happened," he said.

Dei Shen, whose parents have been divorced for 15 years, had been living with his father in Kulai while his sister lives with his mother in Batu Pahat.

Upon hearing about the accident, Dei Shen travelled by taxi from Kulai to the Kuala Lumpur Hospital here with his grandmother.

Another family member, Ong Cheng Hoe, 54, said his brother-in-law was an experienced driver. "We don't know the condition of the bus and how it happened," he said.

On Wednesday afternoon, the express bus plunged into a ravine at Km3.5 Genting Highlands, killing 37 people and injuring 16 others.

More about

Purchase this article for republication.



Your daily good stuff - AsiaOne stories delivered straight to your inbox
By signing up, you agree to our Privacy policy and Terms and Conditions.