Indian national kept as slave

Indian national kept as slave

KAJANG - For eight months, a 30-year-old Indian national is believed to have been an indentured servant to a businessman until his rescue from a bungalow here.

District deputy police chief Supt Abdul Ghani Mohamad Ji said the man was afraid to go to the police out of fear of being beaten up by his employer.

"He has been staying with his employer and his family, and his passport is also being held by the businessman who has a Sulu Datukship," he said.

Supt Ghani said the man was forced to work without pay at the home and the family's restaurant in Seremban.

"His movement was limited. When he was not working at the restaurant, he was labouring in the bungalow," said Supt Ghani.

"He claimed that he was always beaten by his employer," he said.

Supt Ghani said the man secretly kept a mobile phone, which he used to call his father in India to air his grievances.

"He told his father of his sufferings, but insisted that he would not go to the police.

"But the father, worried for his son's well-being, lodged a report at the Malaysian embassy and sought help from a non-governmental organisation in Malaysia," he said.

Supt Ghani said a representative from the NGO alerted the Kajang police who sent a team to rescue the man on Wednesday.

"The rescue operation was carried out while the victim's employer was away.

"The Indian national was in the kitchen when he noticed the rescue team and ran towards the officers," he said.

Supt Ghani said police found no signs of injuries on the man's body upon inspection.

"He was sent to a shelter where he will be staying until police completes investigations into the case," he said.

"We contacted his employer, who has enlisted the help of a lawyer. His statement will be recorded on Monday," he said.

More about

Purchase this article for republication.



Your daily good stuff - AsiaOne stories delivered straight to your inbox
By signing up, you agree to our Privacy policy and Terms and Conditions.