SEPANG - Malaysia is continuing to press for safe and unrestricted access to the MH17 crash site in eastern Ukraine, more than a week after the tragedy.
Transport Minister Datuk Seri Liow Tiong Lai said the site was still not safe for our investigators to conduct their work.
"We do not want (the evidence at) the site to be tampered with and we want full access to the site. I would like to thank the OSCE (Organisation for Security and Co-operation in Europe) for giving us the assistance and arranging a special path for our investigators to access the site.
"This is only the preliminary stage of the investigations and there will be more to come," he told reporters after arriving at the KL International Airport yesterday evening after spending five days in Ukraine's capital of Kiev and Amsterdam.
It was disclosed on Monday that Malaysia had been promised safe access to the crash site to allow a full investigation of the incident.
This was among three criteria in an agreement between Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak and the Ukrainian separatist group.
Liow said the black boxes had been examined before 10 experts of various nationalities, including Malaysia, in London and they were found to be in good condition and were not tampered with.
"The (data in the) voice recorder can be heard and (its content) have been recorded. This will be revealed (to the public) in due time," he said, stressing that the top priority now was to have the bodies of the victims returned to their families.