MALAYSIA - An Indian lorry driver, who needed a bank loan to finance his daughter's education, consumed poison after he was given the runaround when applying for it.
Tamil Nesan reported that M. Rathinam, 52, was admitted to a hospital in Madurai on Friday and has been battling for his life since then.
His 19-year-old daughter Meenu is a third-year student at a private engineering college in Salem.
Rathinam had applied for an education loan at the bank after his daughter won a seat in the college.
However, the bank had insisted on a number of formalities various times. Whenever Rathinam was able to meet a criterion, a new one was placed before him.
The branch manager was said to have asked him to come to the bank on Friday, indicating that the loan would be approved.
When he went to the bank in the morning, he was told that the manager was unavailable and he was asked to come the next day.
Rathinam, who seemed to have come prepared for the worst, took out a bottle of pesticide and consumed it in the presence of the bank employees and customers.
Police said the man vomited and collapsed in the bank and was rushed to the hospital.