BANGKOK - Many more will be charged for the offences committed by the previous Barisan Nasional government, says Prime Minister Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad.
"What we are seeing today, of course, are charges being made against several people, but there are many more.
"We can't bring every one to court in one go.
"We have to take (them) one by one, and the more serious one is the former prime minister (Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak)," said Dr Mahathir during a meeting with the Malaysia Thai Chamber of Commerce (MTCC) representatives on Thursday (Oct 25).
He said these were among the steps taken to resolve the problems created by the previous Barisan administration.
Former treasury secretary-general Tan Sri Dr Mohd Irwan Serigar Abdullah and Najib pleaded not guilty to six charges of criminal breach of trust involving RM 6.6 billion (S$2.18 billion) at the Kuala Lumpur Sessions Court on Thursday morning.
Dr Mahathir said the country suffered for almost nine years as the then government did not seem to care about the people.
"It committed a lot of wrong things. As usual, when you break the law, you face the consequences," he said.
COURT GRANTS RM1 MILLION BAIL TO NAJIB AND IRWAN
The Sessions Court has granted bail of RM1 million each to Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak and Tan Sri Dr Mohd Irwan Serigar Abdulah for the six criminal breach of trust offences they are jointly charged with.
The prosecution had earlier asked for the sum to be set at RM3 million each on Thursday (Oct 25).
Judge Azman Ahmad granted the former prime minister and former Treasury secretary with two sureties, ordered them to surrender all their passports and told them not to be in contact with any of the witnesses.
He also ordered the two to pay RM500,000 today and the remaining RM500,000 within 10 days from today.
The Sessions Court fixed Nov 29 for mention.