PETALING JAYA - In the wake of the deteriorating flood situation in the country, all celebrations organised by the Government and the respective states have been cancelled.
The latest to be cancelled is the Malaysia Christmas open house supposed to be held today.
The Tourism Ministry-organised programme was scheduled to be held at the Pavilion in Kuala Lumpur.
Perak, Terengganu, Pahang and Selangor have also shelved their New Year plans.
The Sultan of Perak, Sultan Dr Nazrin Shah, who visited flood evacuation centres on Thursday, ordered the cancellation of all New Year programmes in the state, including a concert and the countdown event.
Terengganu has also called off its New Year programmes.
Deputy state secretary (management) Samiun Salleh said the state government wanted to focus on helping the flood victims.
Pahang Mentri Besar Datuk Seri Adnan Yaakob also announced the cancellation of all entertainment programmes in the state, including the New Year countdown.
The planned festivities in Putrajaya on New Year's Eve have also been cancelled.
Federal Territories Minister Datuk Seri Tengku Adnan Tengku Mansor announced the cancellation of the annual mega New Year's Eve celebration organised by the Ambank Group with the cooperation of Putrajaya Corporation.
Selangor Mentri Besar Azmin Ali, who had earlier said that similar programmes in the state would go on, announced their cancellation yesterday.
He said all the activities planned for the Temasya Selangor 15 programmes had been shelved.
He said the Shah Alam City Council has also been asked to cancel the Jom Heboh programme organised by TV3 scheduled for today and tomorrow at i-City Shah Alam.