Malaysia helicopter crash: Forensic officers sweep rubber plantation for evidence

Malaysia helicopter crash: Forensic officers sweep rubber plantation for evidence

SEMENYIH, Malaysia - The site of the helicopter crash that killed Tan Sri Dr Jamaluddin Jarjis and five others was put under guard as forensic officers swept the rubber plantation for evidence.

Selangor police chief Senior Deputy Comm Datuk Abdul Samah Mat said investigation into the crash would be led by the Civil Aviation Department (DCA).

"The crash site will be guarded tonight while forensics sweep the plantation for evidence. Police will form a taskforce to assist DCA. We urge any witnesses to come forward and help us find out exactly what happened," he said.

SDCP Abdul Samah said investigators faced a gruelling challenge to reach the crash site with their equipment as the helicopter had fallen in a ravine, with several slopes along the way from the main road.

Selangor Fire and Rescue Department chief Othman Abdullah said the helicopter was seen flying low over the village when witnesses said it erupted in a ball of fire.

Blazing pieces of the helicopter fell to the ground inside the plantation.

About 52 officers from the Fire and Rescue Department, Civil Defence Department, police and St John Ambulance were dispatched to the scene for a search and rescue mission that began at 5pm.

Othman said officials found the burnt wreckage of the helicopter 1km on a dirt road from Jalan Sungai Lalang and confirmed that five bodies were found strewn around the crash site at about 5.20pm.

He said officers later found a sixth body which is believed to have been under the wreck.

"The bodies were burnt beyond recognition," he said, adding that the recovery of the helicopter wreckage was carried out later.

The bodies were brought out of the site at around 11.35pm and arrived at Hospital Kuala Lumpur some 30 minutes later, accompanied by heavy police escort.

At the mortuary, there was heightened security with both traffic cops and Rela officers standing guard at the entrance.

Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak had earlier arrived with his daughter and son-in-law at the mortuary directly from the crash site. He left at around 12.45am.

Also at the mortuary were Transport Minister Datuk Seri Liow Tiong Lai and Home Minister Datuk Seri Dr Ahmad Zahid Hamidi.

More about

Purchase this article for republication.



Your daily good stuff - AsiaOne stories delivered straight to your inbox
By signing up, you agree to our Privacy policy and Terms and Conditions.