The Transport Ministry has proposed that the Genting Group take over the bus transport system going to and from Genting Highlands, following the Aug 21 bus crash that killed 37 people.
Minister Datuk Seri Hishammuddin Tun Hussein said some bus companies bear the name "Genting" but had nothing to do with the company that operates a theme park and casinos in the highlands.
"I will be meeting the Genting Group today. I will suggest that they take over the transport system so that they will be fully responsible for the safety and running of companies transporting people up and down the highlands," he told in a press conference at the Parliament lobby yesterday.
On Aug 21, a bus carrying 53 people plunged into a ravine near Genting Highlands, killing 37 passengers in the country's worst road tragedy.
It was reported that Genting Highlands Transport Sdn Bhd, the operator of the bus, is to be suspended by the Land Public Transport Commission.
Hishammuddin said he would ask the Attorney-General's Chambers if individuals in the bus company could be held responsible for the accident.
Earlier in the Dewan Rakyat, the minister reassured that KL International Airport 2 (KLIA2) would be completed before its deadline of May 2 next year.
"The progress of the project is monitored every two weeks and reports are presented to the Cabinet and ministry," he said in reply to a question by Azmin Ali (PKR - Gombak).
Hishammuddin also said an understanding had been reached among all parties on the service charge to be imposed on airlines and an announcement on it would be made before the end of the year.
On the air traffic congestion at KLIA on Aug 23, Hishammuddin said it was due to problems in the Instrument Landing System.
"The congestion on Aug 25 was caused by strong winds that forced the direction of landings to be changed," he said.