Man in Bersih firecracker incident was trying to catch trouble-maker

Man in Bersih firecracker incident was trying to catch trouble-maker

KUALA LUMPUR - A man accused of bearing a police identification card after he was caught for throwing firecrackers at Bersih 4 protesters on Sunday was actually a policeman helping to detain the perpetrator.

"The policeman was identifying himself to the protesters by showing his ID," said city CID chief Senior Asst Comm Datuk Zainuddin Ahmad.

Bersih 2.0 steering committee member Thomas Fann claimed that a man suspected of hurling firecrackers at protesters along Jalan Tuanku Abdul Rahman, near the Swiss Hotel here, on Sunday night carried a police identification card.

SAC Zainuddin confirmed that three men had been detained for using firecrackers on Sunday and that they were released on bail yesterday evening.

It was reported that a scuffle ensued at the Dataran Merdeka area after an individual apparently threw firecrackers at Bersih 4 protesters as they began to disperse early Sunday.

A protester said the man, dressed in a black T-shirt and yellow headband, aimed the firecrackers at some protesters resting at a car park.

He said the man's attempt to throw another firecracker was foiled by other rally-goers.

The police then arrived to calm the situation, and the man was given medical attention, as were four injured protesters.

Bersih 2.0 chairman Maria Chin Abdullah said despite it being mostly uneventful, the rally was marred by several hiccups.

She noted the arrest of about 10 Bersih supporters in Malacca as well as that of a punk rock band Rumah Api, during the lead-up to the rally on Aug 29.

"Seven other supporters were arrested while trying to stage a Bersih demonstration in Abu Dhabi and Dubai," she said.

In Sungai Petani, Bernama reported that 11 people who were clad in the banned Bersih 4 yellow T-shirts during an illegal rally at Dataran Zero Kilometer on Sunday night were detained.

Kuala Muda police chief ACP Md Zukir Md Isa said the 10 men and one woman, aged between 17 and 48, were released on police bail.

More about

Purchase this article for republication.



Your daily good stuff - AsiaOne stories delivered straight to your inbox
By signing up, you agree to our Privacy policy and Terms and Conditions.