Man blackmailed after sex video chat

Man blackmailed after sex video chat
Caught on camera: Perak MCA Public Service and Complaints Bureau committee member David Wong (left) and Ng advising youth to be wary when befriending strangers on social media during the press conference in Ipoh.
PHOTO: The Star

IPOH - It was a relationship so whirlwind that he was asked to engage in a sex video chat within an hour after meeting on Facebook.

The 28-year-old health product salesman, who only wished to be known as Ng, said he met someone named "Mayumi Chua" on the social media site on Monday.

"She just popped up on my Facebook chat and wanted to be friends. She claimed to be an Indonesian working in Europe.

"I'm a salesman, I am used to adding new 'friends' so I could sell my products to them," he told a press conference organised by Perak MCA Public Service and Complaints Bureau chief Jimmy Loh yesterday.

Ng said he chatted with Mayumi Chua for about 40 minutes, adding the woman asked for his Skype account so that they could do a video chat.

About 20 seconds into the video chat, the woman began to strip and play with herself.

"I lost consciousness soon after and woke up the next day to find that she had sent me a video of me naked and performing some lewd acts that I have no recollection of," he claimed.

"She wanted RM4,000 (S$1,301) from me and only gave me 30 minutes to make the transaction but I don't have that kind of money," he added.

Ng said he saw the video being posted on his Facebook page later that afternoon.

"She uploaded four video clips and also shared them on my friends' Facebook page," he said.

"Honestly, I'm not entirely sure if the girl in the photo is even the one I saw in the video chat. Her face was blurred and she was only showing her body," he added.

Ng said he has heard of incidents similar to his situation but never thought he would fell victim.

"I rarely read the news but I have heard about these incidents.

"My girlfriend and family already know about this. I've deactivated my Facebook account," he said.

Ng said he had lodged reports with the police and the Malaysian Communication and Multimedia Commission.

More about

Purchase this article for republication.



Your daily good stuff - AsiaOne stories delivered straight to your inbox
By signing up, you agree to our Privacy policy and Terms and Conditions.