Man who killed 17-year-old to hang

Man who killed 17-year-old to hang
Shackled: Rabidin being wheeled out of court after sentencing in Temerloh.

TEMERLOH - It's the end of the road for notorious serial killer and rapist "Rambo Bentong", who has been sentenced to hang for the murder of a 17-year-old girl five years ago.

Rabidin Satir, 43, who earned the nickname because he lived in the jungle in Bentong and used a Rambo knife to threaten his victims, was given the capital punishment by the Temerloh High Court here yesterday.

He was, however, acquitted from a charge of raping his victim.

Justice Ab Karim Ab Rahman decided on the death sentence after he found that Rabidin, who testified under oath as the sole witness for the defence, had failed to raise any doubts on the murder charge against him.

"The sworn testimonials by the accused that he did not know the deceased or had broken into her house were just mere denials and unsubstantiated.

"In addition, the chemist's report showed the blood stains found at the scene matched that of the accused, indicating he was the last person in contact with the deceased.

"After taking into account all the testimonials and material evidence, as well as rebuttals by the defence, the court found that the prosecution has succeeded in proving its case beyond reasonable doubt.

"The accused is convicted for committing murder and there is only one punishment, which is death by hanging," said Justice Ab Karim in his 20-minute judgment.

However, he said Rabidin was acquitted of raping the victim since the court could not determine whether the offence was committed when the girl was alive or not.

The accused is currently serving 50 years in jail for rape, unnatural sex and attempted murder.

Using a wheelchair at the court building, Rabidin was calm when the sentence was read out to him in his native Kadazandusun language by a court intepreter.

The judge delivered the capital punishment, under Section 302 of the Penal Code, after finding Rabidin guilty as charged.

Rabidin, 43, from Tambunan, Sabah, was charged with killing Annie Kok Yin Cheng at Kampung Ketari, Bentong, between 11.30pm on March 7, 2009, and 1.50pm on March 8, 2009.

Several warders escorted the accused, who appeared weak and was handcuffed to the wheelchair, after the proceedings ended.

Prior to yesterday's decision, the proceedings had been postponed several times as the accused was unable to stand trial due to his weak physical condition after receiving 24 lashes for his other convictions.

On Feb 5 last year, Rabidin was sentenced to 115 years in prison and 50 lashes after he pleaded guilty to four counts of rape and one count of committing unnatural sex.

The following March 21, he was slapped with another 18 years behind bars for attempted murder of a police constable.

However, on Nov 29 last year, the High Court here granted his appeal and reduced the jail term to 40 years and 24 strokes of the rotan.

More about

Purchase this article for republication.



Your daily good stuff - AsiaOne stories delivered straight to your inbox
By signing up, you agree to our Privacy policy and Terms and Conditions.