KOTA KINABALU - Malaysian security forces are on the trail of two more people said to be senior leaders of a militant group linked to the self-styled Sulu sultanate.
Police and military personnel are on the hunt for them after six people were detained in the east coast Kunak district on Wednesday.
A security official said they were certain that the duo were still in Sabah.
The official said they were also on the lookout for other militants bent on trying to revive the Sulu sultanate claim on Sabah.
There could be more raids in other areas such as Lahad Datu and Semporna, he added.
He said the militant group had been trying to gain the support of the local population in the east coast by promising them cash handouts and top jobs in their government should the sultanate reclaim Sabah.
The six suspected Sulu terrorists, including two corporals from the police and military, were detained during an early morning operation in Kunak on June 25.
Also seized were membership cards and documents linked to the Sulu Sultanate.
The suspects were detained for alleged involvement with Sulu terrorists and the attack on Lahad Datu last year.
The raid against the militants in Kunak was carried out in tandem with an operation codenamed Ops Gasak to flush out illegal immigrants in the district.