Mass held for Morais although body still in mortuary

Mass held for Morais although body still in mortuary

SHAH ALAM - Friends and family members of fallen deputy public prosecutor Anthony Kevin Morais proceeded with his funeral mass yesterday although his body was still unclaimed from the Hospital Kuala Lumpur mortuary.

The mood was solemn at the Church of the Divine Mercy here as scores of mourners gathered at the quaint house of worship to pay their last respects to the deputy public prosecutor.

A mass to celebrate his life was held at the church here beginning at 11am yesterday.

The one-hour mass, led by Rev Father Simon Labrooy, started with the choir singing the Catholic hymn Bind Us Together.

It ended promptly at noon to make way for the eulogy presented by Morais' colleague Manoj Kurup and cousin Desmond Louis.

Visibly emotional during his eulogy, Manoj, who described himself as a friend and Kevin's colleague, said the DPP had touched many lives throughout his service in the past 20 to 25 years.

"Ever since Kevin fell in the line of duty, not a day has gone by without me thinking about the manner of his demise and the feeling of helplessness that envelops me.

"Kevin was deeply concerned about his fellow officers. If I told him something sad about another officer, Kevin's face would contort with genuine grief.

"If I told him something good, equally his face would light up with genuine happiness. He has a passion about his fellow officers' welfare.

"That's the Kevin I want to remember," said Manoj in his tri­bute to Morais.

Desmond, who presented the eulogy on behalf of the family, described the DPP as shy, quiet and unassuming.

"He was articulate, hardworking, skilful, ethical, dedicated to his work as a DPP and helpful to his colleagues. Another lawyer once described him as a fearless judicial officer," he said.

According to Desmond, Morais was the eldest of four siblings. The DPP and his brothers Charles, David and Richard were all Selangor-born.

A video montage chronicling Morais' life was played after the end of the two eulogies. The choir crooned I believe, a song popula­rised by Elvis Presley and LeAnn Rimes, in the background.

A closed-circuit television footage of when he was last seen alive was also included in the video montage.

Many mourners were teary-eyed when they watched the emotional video tribute. They left the church at about 12.35pm after the video presentation.

Purchase this article for republication.



Your daily good stuff - AsiaOne stories delivered straight to your inbox
By signing up, you agree to our Privacy policy and Terms and Conditions.