MH17: $38 million 'reward' for info on culprits who shot down plane

MH17: $38 million 'reward' for info on culprits who shot down plane
The advert on the Wifka website

PETALING JAYA- An unknown person or organisation is offering US$30 million ($38 million) for information and evidence on those responsible for shooting down Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17 in eastern Ukraine on July 17.

The offer is being made through German fraud investigation company, Wifka, and has been advertised on its website.

"After the terrible assassination or 'accident' all political parties, at home and abroad, said they owed it to the victims, their families and the public to clarify the circumstances of the crash and present evidence for what happened. None of this has yet been done," read the advertisement on the website.

Wifka said on Wednesday that it wanted to know who shot down the flight and who gave the order to do so.

It also wanted to know if there were any cover-ups of the shooting, what happened to those involved in the shooting, and what kind of weapon was used.

"Whoever provides evidence that identifies those behind the shoot down, will be given the reward of 30 million dollars. The money is securely deposited in Zurich, Switzerland. It will be paid there or in a different neutral place of the whistle-blower's choice," read the advertisement, adding that the client is offering to give the informant a new identity.

Wifka said that it works confidentially and advised whistle-blowers to take great care, and for example, asked to be contacted by a lawyer.

"Details should not lightly be given away in emails or on the phone. A secure way of communication will be established for every individual case," said Wifka.

Josef Resch of the agency told Germany's Capital magazine that he does not know who is behind the offer but is confident it is genuine, and that he has received an advance payment of €40,000 for his services.

The preliminary report on the MH17 disaster by the Dutch Safety Board last week said the aircraft blew up in mid-air after being hit by "high-energy objects", killing all 298 passengers and crew on board.

It said the Boeing 777-200 had broken up after being hit or being penetrated by a large number of high-energy objects from outside of the aircraft.

Ukraine has blamed pro-Russian militants who control the area for the shooting down of the plane.

Purchase this article for republication.

BRANDINSIDER

SPONSORED

Most Read

Your daily good stuff - AsiaOne stories delivered straight to your inbox
By signing up, you agree to our Privacy policy and Terms and Conditions.