KUALA LUMPUR - The search for missing Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 is now focused on the southern Indian Ocean in an area covering 460,000sq nautical miles.
Acting Transport Minister Datuk Seri Hishammuddin Hussein confirmed that the search in the northern corridor had been called off following conclusive evidence that the aircraft had ended in the southern Indian Ocean.
“We are now working to further narrow down the search area, using the four methods I mentioned previously: gathering information from satellite surveillance, analysis of surveillance radar data, increasing air and surface assets, and increasing the number of technical and subject matter experts,” he told the daily press conference here yesterday.
He said the search for the aircraft’s black box will be intensified with the American Towed Pinger Locator – an instrument that can help locate the black box – expected to arrive in Perth today. The instrument will be fitted on Australian ship Ocean Shield.
On the assets deployed, Hishammuddin said two South Korean aircraft, six Chinese ships and the HMAS Success were in the search area.
Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak announced on Monday that new analysis of satellite data by Inmarsat and the UK Air Accidents Investigation Branch concluded that MH370 had ended in the southern Indian Ocean.
Hishammuddin said Inmarsat recently developed an innovative technique which considers the velocity of the aircraft relative to the satellite.
“Depending on this relative movement, the frequency received and transmitted will differ from its normal value in much the same way that the sound of a passing car changes as it approaches and passes by. This is called the Doppler Effect.