MH370: Victim's father surprised by PM's announcement

MH370: Victim's father surprised by PM's announcement
PHOTO: The Star/ANN

BERA - A relative of one of the MH370 victims was surprised by the Prime Minister's announcement that the flaperon found on Reunion island was from the ill-fated aircraft.

Selamat Omar (pic), 62, said he least expected it as the flaperon was found far from the location where the plane was reported to have crashed in the southern Indian Ocean over a year ago.

"This is beyond belief .... because it is so far from the supposed crash site.

"But I still accept this as fate which has been pre-determined by Allah and hope the Malaysian government will continue with the search for more evidence," he told Bernama when met at his Felda Bukit Mendi home here.

Selamat, who is the father of passenger Mohd Khairul Amri, 29, was also relieved with the confirmation, hoping that this would lead to other evidence being found.

"The discovery of even a piece of cloth will suffice to give closure to the families of victims who are still hoping for the bodies of their loved ones to be found," he said.

Azrai Izet, 39, the husband of passenger Fadzilah Abd Rahim, declined to comment when contacted.

Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 with 239 people on board disappeared from the radar on March 8 about an hour after departing Kuala Lumpur International Airport.

The plane was supposed to land in Beijing at 6.30am on the same day.

Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak confirmed at a press conference early Thursday that the debris found on Reunion Island a week ago was from flight MH370.

"We now have physical evidence that, as I announced on 24th March last year, flight MH370 tragically ended in the southern Indian Ocean," he said.

Last week's discovery of a two-metre-long (almost seven-foot) wing part called a flaperon on the French Indian Ocean island of La Reunion has provided the first glimmer of hope for relatives desperate for answers.

It was examined at a military lab outside the French city of Toulouse in the presence of Malaysian and Australian experts, Boeing employees and representatives from China - the country that lost the most passengers in the disaster.

Malaysia Airlines hailed the news as a "major breakthrough".

"We expect and hope that there would be more objects to be found which would be able to help resolve this mystery," said the airline in a statement.

 
Purchase this article for republication.

BRANDINSIDER

SPONSORED

Most Read

Your daily good stuff - AsiaOne stories delivered straight to your inbox
By signing up, you agree to our Privacy policy and Terms and Conditions.