PETALING JAYA - Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak delivered a heart-felt message in memory of the 239 passengers and crew of Flight MH370, assuring their family and loved ones that the search will continue.
The Prime Minister said the heartache was unbearable for the next of kin as there were still no answers and tangible evidence to shed light into an unprecedented episode in aviation history.
"No words can describe the pain that the families are going through.
"Our prayers are with them and their loved ones left behind - whose sorrow we share," said Najib in a statement to mark the first year anniversary of the missing plane.
On March 8 last year, the Beijing-bound Boeing 777 disappeared from radar less than 40 minutes after it took off from KL International Airport.
"Today, we stand united in remembering and honouring the 239 people, including 50 Malaysians, onboard MH370," Najib said.
He said Malaysia remained committed to searching for the missing plane and that it had not given up hope in finding the missing aircraft.
With the little existing evidence, Najib said it was continuing with the search together with international partners.
He said Malaysia had brought together a big international team to find the plane.
"The disappearance of MH370 is without precedent and so too is the search - by far the most complex and technically challenging in aviation history," he said.
Expressing gratitude to the men and women who worked tirelessly in the search, Najib said their dedication would not be forgotten.
In Kuala Lumpur, Defence Minister Datuk Seri Hishammuddin Hussein said any decision on the next step in the event that the plane was not located within the current primary search area in the southern Indian Ocean must be jointly agreed to by Malaysia, China and Australia.
"The understanding between Malaysia, Australia and China was formalised by an agreement. So, whatever move that will be made after this current phase of the search is over must obtain the agreement by all three countries," said Hishammuddin.
"Search teams have so far covered more than 40 per cent of the 60,000 sq km or primary search area.
"I have been made to understand that we may complete our search in the remaining 60 per cent by May," he said.