DENGKIL - Chinese schools are not a stumbling block to national unity, said Deputy Education Minister Chong Sin Woon.
During his visit to SJK(C) Dengkil yesterday, Chong urged those who called for Chinese schools to be closed down to first visit one of the schools themselves.
"Some 25 per cent of the pupils here are non-Chinese and yet they study in harmony," he said, adding that it had become the choice of parents from different races.
The MCA Youth chief believed Malaysians were a peace-loving people but were divided by politicians who made racist remarks.
Chong also slammed an online survey which questioned the need for single-stream national schools.
"This is a very sensitive issue. We can't have a questionnaire asking if we should shut down Chinese schools," he said, adding that he had been bombarded with WhatsApp messages asking if the Government was planning to remove the vernacular school system.
The online survey surfaced on Sept 29, asking netizens whether there should only be a single-stream education system. However, it was taken down at 7pm the same day.
The document was published via Google Forms, bearing the logo of the Information Department.
Communications and Multimedia Minister Datuk Seri Salleh Said Keruak has denied any knowledge of the survey.
Transport Minister Datuk Seri Liow Tiong Lai reportedly approached Salleh before the Cabinet meeting on Wednesday to discuss the issue.
It is learnt that Liow was assured by Salleh that the incident would not be repeated, and that the individuals who uploaded the questionnaire would be identified and action taken against them.
Chong said the Cabinet had decided that the vernacular school system was here to stay, urging the public not to worry.
He also praised Sarawak for recognising the Unified Examinations Certificate, saying that the state government and its Chief Minister Tan Sri Adenan Satem were "open-minded" and "fair".