More relief for Terengganu flood victims

More relief for Terengganu flood victims

KUALA TERENGGANU - Families affected by the floods last week will receive humanitarian aid totalling RM1,000 from the state government and the National Security Council (NSC).

Children whose school uniforms were destroyed by flood waters will also get new ones.

Mentri Besar Datuk Ahmad Razif Abd Rahman said the state government and the NSC, which was under the Federal Government, would separately give RM500 (S$193) to each of the 1,561 families who were affected by the floods last week.

"The state government sympathises with the flood victims and this aid is to help ease their burden, he said after chairing the state disaster committee meeting here yesterday.

"The aid will be distributed to the families as soon as possible, he said, adding that school-going children of the families will get new uniforms to replace those damaged by the floods.

Ahmad Razif, who felt relieved by the improving weather conditions, said the state government continued to stay prepared in the event of another wave hitting the state.

However, he said the floods that had occurred this year had not been as "bad" as that which happened last year.

The affected families, comprising more than 6,200 victims (1,561 families) were forced to evacuate homes after a continuous bout of rain during the week brought floods to their home.

Since Friday, eight flood relief centres in the state had closed as families return to their homes.

Eight other centres are still open to provide shelter to the remaining victims.

The Terengganu Security Council also said river levels had returned to a normal state and were below the danger zones.

All main roads, except for Jalan Mengabang Telipot in Batu Rakit which collapsed due to heavy rain and floods on Thursday, are open to traffic.

In Kota Baru, Bernama reports that the number of flood victims at three evacuation centres here and in Pasir Puteh rose from 130 on Friday night to 155 victims yesterday.

According to the official state government portal, 96 victims were given shelter at SK Mulong and 34 at SK Tiong here while 25 victims in Pasir Puteh were evacuated to SK Wakaf Raja.

The weather in Kelantan this morning was bright with no rain.

More about

Purchase this article for republication.

BRANDINSIDER

SPONSORED

Most Read

Your daily good stuff - AsiaOne stories delivered straight to your inbox
By signing up, you agree to our Privacy policy and Terms and Conditions.