Music fest deaths: Organisers want answers from cops, no plans to sue

Music fest deaths: Organisers want answers from cops, no plans to sue
CUT: The Future Music Festival Asia was abruptly cancelled on its final night on March 15 in Kuala Lumpur last year following drug-related deaths.

KUALA LUMPUR - The organisers of last year's Future Music Festival Asia (FMFA) concert want answers from the police over the deaths of six people at the event.

In a statement, Livescape regional group head Jason Kong said there were no plans to sue the police.

He said the organisers were not "thinking about the money" and were awaiting for the authorities to have their say on The Star's front-page article on Monday.

This comes after the pathologist involved in the autopsies said that the victims died of heatstroke and not drug overdose as previously announced.

"As this latest development is news to us, we have no plans to file a lawsuit as yet.

"It is only fair that we allow the relevant authorities to provide their feedback," said Kong.

He, however, clarified that the event had sufficient measures in place to keep concertgoers healthy and hydrated.

This follows criticism that the tragedy could have been averted had the organisers provided adequate access to water and information on how to stay healthy in the harsh weather.

Kong said the festival had adhered to an international event organising standard under the Code of Practise and Event Management Guide.

The organiser had 34 paramedics, seven ambulances and an onsite emergency trauma centre.

"We actually did have free drinking water which was distributed at the front of all four stages and at all three medical posts throughout the festival site.

"We also had six dedicated non-alcoholic bars throughout the site in very public areas which were only selling water, soft drinks and energy drinks.

"In addition, we also took into account the weather by ensuring that the event starts only later in the evening and providing various areas for guests to rest and cool themselves down," said Kong.

Organisers also claimed they built an indoor air-conditioned dome, two large misting tent areas and numerous activation zones with roofing and shades.

It was reported that the authorities did not make the results of the post-mortem known and the "drug overdose deaths" was used as grounds to cancel several concerts here recently and one in Singapore.

More about

Purchase this article for republication.

BRANDINSIDER

SPONSORED

Most Read

Your daily good stuff - AsiaOne stories delivered straight to your inbox
By signing up, you agree to our Privacy policy and Terms and Conditions.