KUALA LUMPUR - Lee Chong Wei has announced his intention to resume playing competitive badminton but will give himself ample time before returning to the court.
At a press conference on Thursday (Nov 8) to clarify his future after he was diagnosed with early-stage nose cancer and sought treatment in Taiwan, the 36-year-old said his desire to win an Olympic gold had not faded
Chong Wei said he had already begun doing some light workout and believed it was only a matter of time before he got back to training.
"I still love badminton, that's why I'm not ready to hang up my racket yet," he said.
"But I will take my time before coming back to the court. I'm waiting for green light from the doctor.
"I definitely don't intend to retire yet.
"I still want to go to Tokyo (for the Olympics). Qualifying for my fifth Olympics will not be an issue," said Chong Wei, who appeared to be in a jovial mood.