PETALING JAYA - Amidst allegations of 1MDB funds having been channelled into his personal accounts, Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak has reiterated that he did not take any money for personal gain.
"I want to reiterate that I have never taken 1MDB funds for personal gain," said Najib in a statement on Wednesday.
"The Wall Street Journal''s aim is to incite malice and this is backed by certain quarters in the country whose aim is to make me step down as Prime Minister and Umno president," he said.
Najib added that he had instructed his lawyers to send a letter to WSJ to ask for confirmation on their article before taking legal action.
"My lawyers will take further action after receiving the confirmation from the newspaper," he said.
Najib further acknowledged that an investigation is being carried out by a special task force to verify the claims made by WSJ.
"The investigation needs to take into account the authenticity of the documents that were published to support the newspaper's allegations," he said.
Earlier on Wednesday, police raided the office of 1MDB at Jalan Sultan Ismail. They were later seen carrying documents as they were leaving the building.
WSJ last week published an article quoting an "unnamed investigator", claiming that almost US$700mil (RM2.6bil) of 1MDB funds had been channelled into the Prime Minister's personal accounts before the 13th general election.
The international business daily has since stood by its report, saying that it possessed "solid" documents to back its claim.
On Tuesday, the publication uploaded nine pages of documents that showed alleged bank transfers from various companies to Najib's personal accounts.