KUALA LUMPUR - The Government will build new houses for those whose homes have been destroyed in the east coast floods, said Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak.
The Prime Minister, who described the floods as "catastrophic", said:
"Homes have been almost entirely destroyed, people have lost their furniture, clothes, cars, everything electronic or electric."
Although the full extent of the economic damage could not be gauged until the floods were over, Najib said that he had asked for a count of the homes that had been destroyed.
"Once we learn the extent of the damage we can see what needs to be done," he said at Menara Dato Onn here yesterday, adding that temporary long houses will be built first for people to stay in while permanent homes are being constructed.
He said the Government would also ensure all damaged schools, mosques and roads were repaired.
Najib earlier launched the Wanita Umno/Barisan Nasional Flood Cleanup Squad and announced that the Barisan women's Skuad Sayang, which is on the ground in flood-impacted areas, would be based at Putra World Trade Centre.
Barisan Wanita chief Datuk Seri Shahrizat Abdul Jalil said that she and her team were in it "for the long haul".
"From sorting out the donated items to our efforts on the ground, we are making sure that we do our part," said Shahrizat who is also the Wanita Umno chief.
Malaysians who want to donate can drop off their contributions at PWTC Menara Dato Onn which will be accepting goods from 9am to 6pm daily.
Further information can be found at www.wanitaumno.my, or www.wanitabn.my, or by calling the chairman of #MisiSayang Datuk Rosni Sahar at 0132076747.
Earlier, Najib was in Kelantan to see for himself the flood situation in Kuala Krai and Gua Musang.
Najib told reporters at Sultan Ismail Petra Airport that the Federal Government would cooperate with the state government to identify suitable safe locations to build temporary houses for the victims.
He also said the Government would ensure enough supplies for small businesses which had lost their income due to the floods in Kuala Krai and Gua Musang.
"There are many shops that are still closed as their stocks have completely been destroyed. We will ensure they receive our help."
Najib said there would be additional expenditure aside from the RM500mil he announced on Saturday.