SEMENYIH - Datuk Seri Najib Razak rubbished claims of RM2.6bil (S$924 million) of 1Malaysia Development Bhd funds being transferred to his personal accounts, saying he was a victim of the relentless attacks by certain quarters.
He said they had come up with all sorts of stories, that he allegedly stole a huge amount of money and placed them in his accounts as reported in The Wall Street Journal.
"Even if I wanted to steal, surely I would not have kept the money in a Malaysian account. As the Prime Minister, I will never betray the Malaysian public," he said at a breaking of fast with residents here.
He said he was thankful that there are people, such as PAS spiritual adviser Datuk Dr Haron Din, who did not believe the article.
Dr Haron had said that he hoped the allegations are proven untrue for the sake of the country, adding that the article in WSJ appeared far-fetched.
Najib told reporters later that he will consider his options next week to sue WSJ and the matter was now with his lawyers.
WSJ and Sarawak Report published an article on Friday quoting an "unnamed investigator", claiming that almost US$700mil (S$942 million) of 1MDB funds went into Najib's personal accounts.
The Prime Minister's Office responded by saying that the articles were "political sabotage" while the 1MDB insisted that no funds had been transferred to Najib's accounts.
Najib has also refuted the claims, maintaining that the allegations are a political ploy engineered by his opponents in an attempt to topple him, among them former premier Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad.
The New York-based publication however insisted that their investigation was based on solid documentation.