SEREMBAN - The Negri Sembilan government has shortened a three-month freeze on water-related recreational activities off Port Dickson while it mulls over more stringent rules and procedures for the operators.
Mentri Besar Datuk Seri Mohamad Hasan said although the relevant enactments had been in place since the 1990s, enforcement could not be carried out as the proper procedures had not been stipulated.
"There was no bite in these enactments and we will correct them," he told reporters here yesterday.
He said the suspension on water-related recreational activities, which was enforced on Sept 24, would be lifted on Saturday.
Mohamad said he was left with no other option but to suspend the activities as many of the operators were also unlicensed.
The freeze followed the death of a 23-year-old man who was injured in a collision involving a banana boat off the popular Teluk Kemang beach on Sept 7.
Similar incidents involving motorboats, water scooters and banana boats had been reported over the years, including some fatal cases.
Mohamad said the ban was lifted earlier as a multi-agency committee investigating the recent fatal incident had come up with a set of rules and procedures for operators offering such activities.
"We will also fine-tune the enactments with the Marine Department and come up with penalties against the operators who flout these rules," he said, adding that there were no penalties at the moment for lack of enforcement procedures.