NGO head: I was sodomised in boys' home

NGO head: I was sodomised in boys' home
PHOTO: The Star

MALACCA: The head of a non-governmental organisation (NGO) claims that he was sodomised when he was a resident at a boys' home here.

Welfare and Social Organisation (Perbak) president Muhammad Khairul Hafiz (pic) said he was also forced to dress as a nurse before being sexually assaulted by a staff member when he was a resident there between 1999 and 2004.

"I am no longer embarrassed to state that I was sodomised, and three others shared the same fate as me," he said in an interview here.

Muhammad Khairul claimed that one of the victims, whom he knows as Anbarasu, is now a transvestite involved in the flesh trade in Ipoh.

He said that because of his ordeal, he was now going all out to fight for the rights of the former and current residents of the home.

"These poor boys kept all this to themselves as their reports to the management of the home were shot down for lack of evidence, except for a couple of cases that got their attention," he said.

According to him, it took five years to painstakingly collect enough evidence but he relentlessly pursued the matter until "someone powerful" in Putrajaya listened to him.

Muhammad Khairul said he would lodge a police report in Putrajaya on Friday.

He added that he had to face numerous obstacles, including being called a liar.

"Some people even chided me for fabricating stories and attempting to smear the Welfare Department, But what man in a proper frame of mind would openly state that he was a sodomy victim?" he said.

"A press conference will be held in Putrajaya to detail previous cases that have not been exposed. I will now hand it over to the authorities to pursue and identify those culprits who have managed to evade punishment for years," he added.

Muhammad Khairul said he had a meeting with the state Welfare Department on Tuesday and was told that some of those implicated in abusing the orphans had been transferred out.

He said Malacca Welfare Department director Burhanuddin Bachik had shown concern and sympathy.

In 2012, Muhammad Khairul lodged a police report claiming that several employees of the home were allegedly responsible for sodomising and sexually abusing some 150 residents since 2004.

A story in The Star on March 14 said two residents, aged 13 and 16, were warded at Malacca Hospital after they were reportedly assaulted by the warden.

The boys were alleged to have committed offences such as theft and smoking that warranted severe disciplinary action.

The case drew the attention of the state government as well as Deputy Education Minister Datuk Chong Sin Woon.

More about

Purchase this article for republication.

BRANDINSIDER

SPONSORED

Most Read

Your daily good stuff - AsiaOne stories delivered straight to your inbox
By signing up, you agree to our Privacy policy and Terms and Conditions.