PETALING JAYA - Malaysian parents and retailers appear unconcerned over reports that fidget spinners could be harmful.
The toy has caused a global storm with even 11-year-old Barron Trump, son of the United States president, photographed playing with it recently.
However, a consumer watchdog based in Boston, Massachusetts, said recently that the toy, which was marketed as a stress reliever, could be unsafe.
And German authorities have found that parts of the toy could come off and possibly choke small children.
"The ball bearing does fall off sometimes, but it is not small enough to be swallowed," said Vera Mopilin, a mother of two children aged four and nine who each own a fidget spinner.
She also dispelled notions that the toy was a distraction in school as it was banned from classes anyway.
Edmund Chan, a general manager of a automobile company, said: "I bought it a week ago. It did not fall apart even after dropping it."
The father of a five-year-old boy, however, found the toy rather boring. It has been lauded as a way of to ease stress but it does not appear to be so, he said.
Siti Hajar Najiyah, 22, who has a fidget spinner, said that all toys could pose a risk in their own way.
"It would not be much of a problem if it is handled the right way," she added.
An online retailer claimed he had not received any complaints from his customers.
Declining to be named, he said sales had been impressive. After selling the fidget spinners for two months, he has been earning about RM1,000 each month.